Huevos Rancheros-Cast Iron Breakfast Casserole
First of all, Huevos Rancheros or “rancher’s eggs” is an awesome cast iron breakfast casserole and it originated in Mexico. It is a very popular Mexican breakfast dish, to say the least. Furthermore, not only is this dish a favorite in Mexico, but it is an absolute hit here in America as well.
It’s not complicated to make this recipe. As a matter of fact, it’s a rather simple breakfast casserole. If you have never tried huevos rancheros, then, I’d say you should try it at least once in your lifetime. Trust me. You won’t be disappointed. I’m sure it will become one of your favorites as well.
How Do You Make Huevos Rancheros:
Begin with fried corn tortillas and soft fried eggs along with chorizo, or ground sausage. Add Mexican-style rice and refried beans. Top this off with a good tomato based salsa and slices of avocado garnished with fresh cilantro and lime. Now, I must say, this is a tasty way to start your weekend off right.
Tip: When frying the eggs, always be sure to let the bottom set before attempting to flip them over. You may want to use a thin metal spatula. These work great and are perfectly safe on cast iron cookware.
In conclusion, the variations are endless for this wonderful breakfast casserole. Instead of corn tortillas, you may want flour or even wheat. You could add lettuce, cheese, and sour cream. I have to have some cheddar cheese on mine. Oh, and then there is bacon! Consequently, bacon makes everything better!! If you like, you can substitute sausage for bacon. Heck why stop there, why not ham? Hey, let’s add bacon, sausage, and ham!! Wow, I’m getting hungry now!
- 4 Corn Tortillas
- 1/2 Can Refried Beans
- 1/4 Pound Chorizo
- *1/4 Pound Ground Sausage *Optional*
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 1 Whole Ripe Avacodo Sliced
- 1 Whole Lime Cut in wedges
- 1/4 Cup Salsa Mild Chunky or your choice
- Preheat your griddle or skillet over medium heat for 3-4 mins.
- Brush it lightly with vegetable cooking oil or whatever type oil you prefer. Add the tortillas flipping them only once until slightly puffy. Not too crispy!
- Set 2 tortillas on each plate. Spoon on a layer of refried beans and Mexican-style rice onto each tortilla.
- Mix half the fresh cilantro with the chorizo or ground sausage. Cook on the griddle for approximately 6-8 mins. Remove from grease but don't discard. Drain on a paper towel and place the sausage on top of the refried beans and rice.
- Crack open all the eggs onto remaining chorizo or sausage grease and cook to your desired texture. (I recommend over-easy). But, they can be fried hard or scrambled too.
- Next, place 1 egg on top each tortilla layered with the sausage, beans and rice. Serve with salsa and the remaining chopped cilantro. Add some avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime. Enjoy!!