Best Sweet Cornbread Recipe-Southern Style:
This is my personal best sweet cornbread recipe.
Now, this is an easy sweet cornbread recipe to bake. There are only eight ingredients used in this awesome pan of “quick” bread.
“quick” bread is a type of bread that doesn’t require the normal time consuming leavening processes.
The biggest advantage to a “quick” bread, like this sweet moist cornbread recipe, is, the ability to quickly prepare it.
Cornbread is a favorite type of bread, particularly here in the mid-south.
In Texas, you may find it a very commonplace to see a Mexican sweet cornbread recipe used. I actually like a good Mexican cornbread because I like a little spice if you know what I mean?
But, for today’s recipe, I’m going to share with you the very best cast iron skillet cornbread recipe that we like to make.
It is very easy to prepare this recipe and as I said, there are very few ingredients too.
There are several types of utensils you could actually use to bake the cornbread in like, cake pans, pie pans, or a casserole dish.
My personal utensil preference for baking cornbread is cast iron. Cast iron skillet cornbread recipes wouldn’t be the same in any other dish, would they?
Southern-style cooking, in my opinion, requires cast iron skillets to cook in and also to bake in.
If you like, you could use a 10″ skillet but, I bake mine in a 12″ Lodge cast iron skillet like this one featured below.
We hope you enjoy this wonderful cornbread recipe. This would be the perfect bread to be eaten with our Fried Cabbage recipe.
Best Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. If you are using a cast iron skillet, it should be seasoned already with vegetable oil. If not, lightly grease your 10″ or 12″ skillet.
- Combine all your dry ingredients first. In a large bowl add cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix together completely.
- Next, add milk, egg, and vegetable oil to dry ingredients and stir together. Don’t over mix this, just mix until blended together.
- Pour batter into lightly greased skillet.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cornbread is ready when a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
- Remove from oven and cut into eight or more wedges and enjoy!